The Seaview Restoration Continues

  The Aft Control Surfaces or Rudders...
       At this point we have cleaned up the aft stabilizers, removed the old "rudder" and will start replacing the stock horizontal and vertical rudders with new ones.  We removed the stock rudder located above the keel since it was obvious that it looked out of place due to fitment issues.  We are using Deboer vertical rudders for both thrust tubes and a pair of nicely cast resin units supplied by David. The horizontal  pair will be permanently installed while the vertical units will be functional.
 
     
 
       Pictured above the clevices and linkages for the rudders have been removed and a trial fit for the new rudders is underway.  Mounting brackets for the vertical rudders will have to be made and the center rudder located below the keel must be build up and sanded to shape.  This particular area needs refinement with some grinding of the hull to give a more streamlined appearance.
 
 
     
 
       The decision was made to deviate just a bit from our restoration by adding some subtle features not found on the original sub design.  Among these are horizontal planes mounted in the thrust tubes.  We were inspired to add this feature by another modeler's build featured on a popular forum several years ago.  However, we soon encountered an unexpected problem with the positioning and alignment of the port and starboard thrust tubes.  First, the port side tube opening is 1 5/8 inches in diameter while the starboard tube is  1 4/8 inches.  In addition, the starboard tube is mounted slightly higher that the starboard.  Good grief.  Since there is no way to repair this issue we are hoping the installation of the vertical rudders will help disguise the misalignment.  Who knew?
 
 
     
 
       Installation of the vertical rudder went without incident and we opted to shape a tapered edge to the rudder for additional effect. 
 
     
  The Flying Sub
       One of the coolest features on the movie/TV version of the  Seaview is the flying submarine.  The Seaview is equipped with a flying sub bay underneath the control room from which the flying sub emerges and returns.  The bay on our Seaview has a removable door and absolutely nothing else.  The stock door is held in place by screws which we will replace with rare Earth magnets.  Next, we will partition off the bay using Evergreen styrene once we have a better idea as to how the control room modification is going to fit.  Finally, we have every intention of adding a scale replica of the flying sub reproduced with the help of our 3D printer.  Whew!
     

       Bob Martin from Nautilus Drydocks printed the flying sub pictured below.  It measures 4 7/8 inches across and will be a perfect fit inside our Seaview.  While missing some surface details, we plan on adding lighting for more realism.  Thank you Bob!
     
  Let there by light!
       The DeBoers Seaview was originally designed for a simple lighting setup using grain of wheat lights on the underside of the bow and mounted on both aft stabilizers.  Fortunately, there are lots of lighting opportunities and we quickly searched the Internet for the best solution.  We found several LED and fiber optic options for the smaller, Moebius Seaview but one in particular caught our eye.  Tenacontrols makes lighting systems for a variety of models and we have had a good experience with them in the past.  We contacted them to see if they could expand their existing lighting kit to include lighting for the flying sub bay.  Ralph assured us that the system they designed for the smaller Moebius sub would our Seaview.  
 
     
Stock bezel
Replacement bezels and lens
 
       We removed the stock flood light modules from the underside of the Seaview's bow.  One of them was missing altogether which left us with no choice than to reproduce a matching pair of our own.  The replacement lens that Dennis provided us did not fit the stock bezels so we scratch built two new flood light assemblies using brass tubing and styrene strips. 
     The DeBoers Seaview has a forward mounted flood light surrounded by a brass ring or bezel. We soon discovered that the original 17 foot studio model of the Seaview, referred to as the "FS-1" did not have this ring but was recessed inside the hull.  This was good news and will make replacing the light much easier.  We also noticed that the forward section of the hull was split along one of the "manta fins".  We reglued the split using two part epoxy and several layers of Evercoat and glazing putty and repaired the area where the front flood light was mounted.
 
     
Click here to turn page