The Torso, Arms and Feet Cont'd.

      
       I took this opportunity to start work on the second arm which extends across the creature's torso. There were many pinholes along the arm and palm of the hand.

    In the picture below I am filling the pinholes with glazing putty and then sanding the piece with fine grit sandpaper.  This had to be repeated three or four times in order to correct many of the imperfections on the arm.  I have also attached the left arm to the torso using two part epoxy and have applied Aves to the area where the two pieces meet.  Finally, I've added some additional muscle detail to the forearm for additional realism as seen in the picture on the  left.





        The arm and hand are coming along great but the surface feature (vent?) on the top of the forearm has lots of pitting.  I decided to fill it in with Evercoat and then use the Dremel to smooth over the lines for a cleaner look.  The result is a much improved appearance.  The resin coated foam proved to be too thin to achieve the original look of the statue.
 


       One feature in desperate need of attention are the feet.  I have to admit that the casting quality of the feet was poor and both were missing a great deal of definition such as tendons or muscles.  Pictured to the left we have started building up the tops of the feet using Aves. 

      Pictured to the right we continue to clean out the existing surface features along the spine and removing as many surface imperfections as we can using good old sand paper and the Dremel.  The creature's spine is looking a lot better but there is still more work to be done.



The Head

        
     We are slowly working our way through the neck, ribcage and torso with lots of filling, shaping, sanding and painting.  Once again, we have discovered that the casting quality of our statue ranges from very good to really bad and there are a number of large air bubbles or cavities underneath the resin casting exposing foam. 

      We are using a new product from Smooth On which is very similiar to the Aves Apoxie Sculpt.  This sculpting putty really comes in handy on larger holes or crevices.  On this page, we have begun work on the alien's head and completing the base.  The head is hollow and the surface is smooth and well detailed.  However, we discovered early on that several of the alien teeth were missing or had air bubbles.  Yikes.





      
        The inner jaw of the alien, which in real life springs out of its mouth, was missing the four predominant fangs on the upper and lower jaw.  We took small pieces of the Smooth On sculpting putty and formed four somewhat crude replacements for  these missing fangs. These will be carefully shaped once again using the Dremel.

    Next. we used glazing putty to fill in the many pinholes discovered in the Alien's teeth and jaws (middle),

Pictured far right is our Alien head after several hours of sanding, filling and the application of the primer base coat. 
Quite a difference



Click here to turn page