The Legs and Torso

      
       Both of the legs are well cast and there are very few modifications needed before securing them to the alien torso.  I noticed while test fitting each leg that there were large gaps in between the leg and the lower torso.  Once I have epoxied the leg in place I will fill these gaps with Aves Apoxy Sculpt which will add considerable strength and a smoother looking seam.

     Another unexpected problem that we encountered was paint adhesion.  The resin is old and has a coating on its surface that is making it difficult to get adequate paint adhesion.  Sanding the surface prior to painting helps but is not always possible when painting the base with all of its tiny pores, crevices and orifices. 




        
       The torso was cast around foam to reduce its overall weight. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the right shoulder had been crushed and needed repair.  I added a thick wad of modeling clay, shaped with a dental tool and let it cure overnight. 

The seams around the left leg were filled with Aves which does a great job of making large gaps disappear.  This process will be repeated many times throughout the project.



       In this shot I have attached the second leg to the lower torso using Z Poxy adhesive mixed with micro ballons.  Once again, the seams around the right leg were filled with Aves which strengthens the joint and makes for a smooth appearance.

I applied a primer coat of Vallejo flat black  to the legs which will highlight any pin holes or seams that needed additional filling and sanding.  There are still quite a few which is okay but the statue is beginning to slowly take form.  Very cool.




The Torso, Arms and Feet

      
       I am slowly working my way up to the ribcage of our alien creature.   There are still lots of crevices and air bubbles from the original cast that must be removed and filled with putty.  Once again, I am using the Dremel Stylus but this time I am using a round diamond coated cutting bit to help remove material without destroying the many curves and contours.  These drill bits are designed just for this purpose and can be purchased online at Micro-Mark.  My favorite set however,  is from Kit Builders.




      
       Once the creature's arm is attached there is a considerable amount of detailing, filling imprefections (there are many!) and adding more details.  I used a diamond tipped bit to deep the lines around the alien's neck, sanded smooth and then applied Vallejo primer.  With the arm in place,  I wanted to see how the creature would fit on the pedestal and whether or not there were any clearance issues.  Sure enough, the extended arm would not clear the pedestal even though it was correctly attached to the torso.  Oops.




      
         I decided to remove the two middle "fingers" or digits from the hand using a cutting wheel on the Dremel Stylus as seen in the picture on the left.  I then molded two new "fingers" using Aves sculpting clay that conformed to the upper edge of the pedestal.  Problem solved.




Click here to turn page