R2D2 Astromech Droid
1:2 Scale Fully R/C Robot Kit
It should come as no surprise that our friends at Deagostini has developed a fully r/c scale version of the classic Star Wars astromech droid R2D2. Could life get any better than this? Needless to say, we couldn't resist.
The development of the kit comes in 25 installments just like the Millennium Falcon. Each installment includes four assembly booklets replete with historical photos, blueprints, screen shots and much more. My hands are trembling as I type this.
First and foremost, this droid is 1:2 scale which means its BIG and loaded with functionality. Such as:
* One-piece metal dome: R2-D2’s real metal dome spins just like the original, enabling him to turn to face his owner, look around his environment and point his camera and projector in any direction without moving his body.
* Dual mode: You can switch R2-D2 to operate under command or in autonomous ‘AI’ mode, when he will behave like the willful astromech in the movies.
* Video/Still Camera: The video/still camera in R2-D2’s head allows him to take snapshots and short video clips, which can be stored on your mobile device. You can turn his head to focus on any person or object in his field of vision, and his programming includes the ability to detect human faces.
* Wi-fi enabled: Wi-fi receiver and transmitter, communicating with a tablet or smartphone.
* Communication: via authentic chirps, whistles and colored light displays.
* Projector: Just as in the Star Wars movies, R2-D2 is able to display holographic messages using a projector which can beam images of Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker onto any nearby flat surface.
* Realistic Droid Movement: R2-D2 travels around through powerful drive motors in his feet, which allow him to move forward or backwards or spin on his axis, just like the droid does in the movies. His third leg provides stability, and he has sensors which are programmed to avoid obstacles and stairs.
* Remote-control app-enabled: You can control R2-D2 directly from your Android or iOS smartphone or tablet. Steer him at will, see what he sees, and activate all his special features – including the pop-up lightsaber!
* Pop-up lightsaber: As in Return of the Jedi, R2-D2 has a ‘hidden extra’ – Luke Skywalker’s lightsaber, which will pop up on demand from the pneumatic ejection tube in his head.
* Rechargeable battery: Inside R2-D2’s chassis is a high-energy battery pack that stores power for his drive motors, robotic mechanisms and internal electronics. He comes with his own charging station which hooks up to his external coupling – and when his energy levels become low, his warning lights will indicate the need to recharge. Battery not included with series.
* Status displays: Including malfunction/diagnostic warnings.
* Microphone and speaker: R2-D2 is able to react to his human owner’s voice commands. R2-D2 is programmed to respond to trigger words (such as ‘good morning’ or ‘wake up’) and he understands a number of simple voice commands that control his key functions. The droid will respond to his owner’s requests with a realistic range of reactions.
* Extending arms: As in the movies, R2-D2 can extend his spacecraft linkage and control arms on command, and they also operate when R2-D2 is in autonomous ‘AI’ mode. The flaps on his body conceal hidden droid manipulator arms and probes, which you can extend at will.
This page was last updated: August 18, 2017
Our Project Build Starts Here...